Sunday May 21, 2017
Recycling is great for the environment and your new homes in melissa tx community. But are you recycling the wrong? Read the list below to see what eight items you could be recycling wrong or shouldn’t be recycled at all.
- Aerosol cans – Should only be recycled if they are completely empty. Aerosol cans that are not empty are considered hazardous waste
- Broken glass – These tend to have been treated with chemicals that cannot be recycled. Just throw out any broken glass, old lightbulbs, mirrors, or windows.
- Colored paper – Brightly covered paper should never be recycled. The dyes in the paper can taint other recyclables and the recycling process as a whole. Instead, use the paper as compost for your garden.
- Disposable diapers – These kinds of diapers should do just as its name says. Dispose of these diapers and do not try to recycle them.
- Pizza boxes – Though we may think our old pizza boxes are perfect recycling items, they aren’t necessarily. Those with grease, cheese or other food particles should not be recycled. This is because the cheese, grease, and other food particles cannot be separated to properly recycle the items. Just toss these out in your regular trash.
- Plastic bottle caps – It’s very common to throw out your entire soda or water bottle with the cap on it. However, if the cap contains material made out of polypropylene then it shouldn’t be recycled.
- Plastic shopping bags – These bags can make recycling machines stop working. Instead, take these bags to your local grocery store or repurpose them as trash bags in your bathrooms or other bedrooms.
- Styrofoam – May seem like it shouldn’t be on the list. But it is! Styrofoam is hard to break down and it can also absorb dirt, grease, food particles and other items that is hard to remove.
Do any of the items on the list surprise you? We’d like to hear from our new homes in melissa tx residents in Creek Crossing and Hunter Lakes. Let us know which items you thought you could recycle but can’t.